Pages

11.27.2012

Simplify

Heath and I have been married for three years. Though there is no rush to having kids, they (our future children) are on my mind for the better part of my day. While thinking about them, I'm faced with ideas on how to raise them, who to surround them with, experiences to diversify their lives, ect.

And then I think about us, Heath and I, and the things we could start doing differently right now. I know one can never be fully prepared for babies, just like one can never be prepared for marriage; but if we have these ideas, why not try to implement them now?

I just started reading this:
I've talked about reading this book for some time, and I wish I had a long time ago... then, it might have been harder to read, more challenging, made me feel more uneasy. Now? It's like the author has been in my head for months, writing out my exact thoughts and feelings on church, consumerism, food...

I think her words are especially hitting me hard in this season. Christmas is kind of a hard time for me, receiving so much when many around me have so little. It makes me sad actually. No, I am not a scrooge, I do not mind listening to Christmas music if that's what you enjoy... I enjoy twinkle lights and peppermint sticks. But I'm also very aware and cautious of it all. I just don't want to miss the point of why we celebrate Christmas every year.

So.... This year I decided to have a handmade Christmas. I loved making clutches for the girls in my family this year, and I had an even better time giving them away.


I also made Landon (my cousin's son) a color book... and let's just be honest... I almost kept it for myself. :)



Crafting my gifts this year is one little way to simplify and refocus myself this holiday season. There are basic things in my day-to-day life that I've changed as well: making my own laundry soap, deodorant, basic cooking ingredients... but I'm always open to more suggestions.

How do you simplify? Have you read 7? Have you done anything differently since reading it?

Just some thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! A blog post! I haven't read 7 yet but intend to. We make our own laundry soap and, once we've used up our current cleaning supplies, have plans to only use a few ingredients from hence forth (vinegar, baking soda, etc). When we have children we want to be very conscious of the amount of toys we have around our home and what those toys are teaching our kids.
    Keep us updated on how your making your life simple. I think we could all use ideas! Love!

    ReplyDelete