Pages

8.31.2010

My Introduction to Natural Living...

Well friends, please bare with me as I do a little experimenting. For about a year now, I have been slightly obsessed with reading over blogs, research studies, and books concerning natural health and living more simply. Most articles I read were very convincing, yet it has taken me a while to take the next step and actually implement these ideas. I think living in Portland, amongst all these hippies, has given me a bit more confidence and "you've got nothing to lose" mentality.

With that said, please know that I have found something that sparks my interest and I wanted to share it with you. I don't expect all of you to do the same and agree with me fully, I just want to take you on this journey with me. :)

A couple days ago, I went to Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Safeway to pick up these items....

household items

I actually already had a few of them in the pantry, but still needed the essential oil, Borax, virgin coconut oil and Apple Cider Vinegar. These items, along with some water here and there, will be my household cleaning products, deodorant, and hair cleaner until they run out... so I hope they work well! All in all, I have a little less than $30 invested.

My first adventure: the "'Poo Free" Method. Shampoo strips the hair of natural oils that keep it healthy, shiny, and strong. When I learned there was a way to clean your hair without using shampoo, I was obviously intrigued. This is a frugal, non-toxic, and extremely easy way to care for your hair. (If you want to read more, this site was helpful to me, as well as this one.)

Here's my new hair-care routine:
1. Use a squeeze bottle or an old shampoo bottle. Mix 1 Tablespoon baking soda to 1 cup water. Shake well.

2. Soak your hair completely with water. Squeeze some of the baking soda mixture onto your scalp. Massage it in, mostly concentrating on the scalp, and adding more of the mixture if needed. (This probably goes without saying, but you won't get suds like with normal shampoos... I noticed a more gritty texture. Just now it's doing its job.)

3. Leave in for 3-4 minutes, then rinse.

4. In another bottle, mix 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar to 1 cup water. I also added 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract and about 10 drops of Tangerine essential oil to mask the vinegar smell.

5. Squeeze a little of the vinegar mixture onto the ends of your hair (away from the roots) and let it rest for about 30 seconds. (If your hair is like mine and rests on the oily side, make sure not to use too much of the mixture.)

6. Fully rinse, and you're done!

haircare

Isn't that simple! I was a little concerned that my hair would smell bad afterwards, but Heath said it smelt lovely. :) The apple cider vinegar made my hair feel so soft, and my hair still has the same body it did before. Though it should take my hair around a month to get used to this method, I am already impressed. I'm really glad I tried it... I'll post an update in a month to give you my final verdict.

When you run out of shampoo and conditioner like I did recently, try it out and tell me what you think!

4 comments:

  1. very interesting... I just may have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jana Schofield1.9.10

    Very neat! Please keep us updated on how you like it... I may have to give it a try at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the natural method of washing my hair once every four months. My hair stopped producing too much oil after I stopped using shampoo.

    My friend had suggested it after she lived in a rural part of Bolivia for 6 months with little access to bathing water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie and Jana, if you try it let me know how this works out for you!

    Scott, I remember Hannah telling me about your hair care routine. What do you mean by 'natural method'? From what I've read, by using the method that I'm using, I should be able to just wash my hair with water after about 1 year, but I'm not quite sure about that yet. great to hear from you Scotty. Hope your work has slowed down a little

    ReplyDelete