Pages

10.02.2010

It's Fall Y'all

I cannot express to you how nice it is to live in a place with actual seasons! It's so wonderful. Living in West Texas was not terrible, but in the middle of fall I always found myself becoming home-sick. The leaves never changed colors... the weather stayed warm until December...

Well today, Heath and I got to experience Oregon fall weather at its finest. We drove out to Mt. Hood (which is about a hour and twenty minutes from our house) to explore the Salmon River area. Imagine the sound of the leaves ruffling softly as the wind blows, watching them fall slowly around you as you walk along the trail, and listening to the river move rapidly over the shallow rock beds. (that was my sorry attempt of describing the most beautiful, serene place in the world!)

yellow trees

This was probably one of my most favorite hikes we've taken thus far. It probably won me over due to the golden, yellow leaves, the perfect 70 degree weather, and the abundance of wildlife.

We weren't able to spot any Salmon... I think they're spawning. However, we did hang out with some monster Steelhead Trout. (see picture below) It's amazing how amusing these things can be. We watched them for at least thirty minutes. And I probably could have watched them longer :)

steelhead trout

I realized that Oregon has giant redwoods too.

huge tree

Salmon River

heath with leaf

I love living here. The past few weeks have been a little difficult. With the job search, finding our new everyday routine, missing friends and family... but today was a great day. For Heath and I, and for me individually.

I think I'm a mountains kind of girl. You know, some people like the beach, some people like texas, but I like the mountains. And the rivers and waterfalls that come with them. :) Thanks for reading, and I promise to share more pictures and updates soon!

leaves

Happy Weekend

3 comments:

  1. Okay. It's official. We are coming to visit. And we are moving to Oregan. (Not really, but GIIIRRRLLL I want to now!!!)

    So, so beautiful.

    I've been missin' my crafting buddy lately....

    Love you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie! Your pictures are beautiful. Do you use a Canon? I am looking for new cameras for Christmas, and wondered what you thought of yours! Looks like you have tons of good photo opportunities in Oregon- it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Han! Come on... your room is waiting and Scrap is calling your name :) I miss you too sweet friend.

    Jane, thanks so much for your comments! I love reading your blog and hearing about your baby boy. I use a Canon Rebel XSi. I actually bought mine refurbished, so I saved quite a bit of money and it works great! I highly recommend it! I'll send you the info on facebook...

    ReplyDelete