Pages

11.02.2010

Natural Living Part 2...

You might remember this post I did several months ago.... Since August 31, I have been washing my hair with baking soda and an apple cider vinegar mixture and have been pleased with the results. I have been even more pleased with my other recipe, though.... Homemade Deodorant.

I know, I know. This sounds even more crazy and over the top, but I am so glad I tried it! After researching the harmful effects of some store-bought deodorants containing aluminum, I wanted to find a healthier and cheaper alternative. It has always been difficult for me to find one that actually works, so this was another experiment that seemed worth trying.

deodorant

5-6 tablespoons coconut oil*
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch
A few drops essential oil (optional, I used about 8 drops of tangerine oil)

Whisk the baking soda and cornstarch together. Slowly add the coconut oil and work it in with a spoon until it maintains a deodorant-like consistancy. (This takes a few minutes, just be patient.) I decided to add a few drops of essential oil, but the coconut scent is also pleasant. You can either scoop it into your old (clean) dispenser or place it in a small container with a lid (which I did) and apply with fingers with each use. I had a bit left over, so I did both. If you choose to use your old dispenser, you will need to keep your deodorant in the fridge. Just think of it as a nice conversation piece for your guests. :)

I am so pleased with this recipe! It keeps me smelling fresh all day long and has not left any residue on my clothes. Here's a few recommendations if you choose to try this for yourself:
1. Coconut oil can be found at Whole Foods, CVS or Walgreens, or online. It can be fairly expensive, but it can be used for many things, and will last you through 4-5 deodorant recipes. (I bought mine at Whole Foods and paid $12.00. I also bought my essential oil at WF for $4.00.)
2. I had irritation on my skin for several days and believe it was caused by putting the deodorant on right after shaving my arms. Now, I try to shave my arms at night time, and have not experienced any more skin irritation.
3. I would not suggest wearing this with silk tops. At least wait until the deodorant has dried, which usually takes about 5 minutes for me.

If you try this, please let me know if they worked as well for you! Hope you have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment